Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  Favorite Charity Improvisation

Have you bought any of the charity improvs yet?

Yes, because I'm an Imogen super fan and I like charity!   [ 8 ]  
66%
  66%
No, because I'm stingy and mean ><   [ 1 ]  
8%
  8%
I'll do it when I get the money, stop grilling me already!   [ 3 ]  
25%
  25%

Total Votes : 12
Jesse Colton
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:58 am Reply with quote
[I hope this thread isn't a repeat, but I can't find it anywehre]

I've been working my way through the charity improvisations (I've got 11so far, 12 to go!), and I was wondering if anyone had a personal favorite? I have to say I think this is so cool, I know that Imogen has said she didn't want to spend another 2 years working on an album, and that she wants the audience to be much more involved, and I think this is a great way to hold everyone over until she gets started on her next project.

It's been almost a year since the release of Ellipse, and as inspirational as her music is, Imogen has only released 4 albums (counting Frou Frou) to date, so it'd be understandable to start getting a little antsy. I think these charity imrpovs are great for a multitude of reasons:

First, because it gives me a personal insight into Imogen's art. And a chance to hear all of her instruments in a little more of a solo fashion. Also, I just enjoy hearing and watching her speak and flit about, she's a character as you know.

Second, they're of course, entertaining. Not every single improv hits the mark, but some of them are really great. Also, it's just a good thing to do between albums. It's really kind of like an EP, and I think it would be pretty cool if she did release it as a phyiscal EP, but then it'd cost money to do and that's be less money for the charities

Thrid, well, charity! I'd completely forgotten about the charity part because I was so interested in the fact that it was new Imogen material!

So, what are your thoughts on the improvs? Do you have a favorite? Are you partial to any certain Immi instrument? Did you buy the whole 23 song album-formatted version with just the edits, or the individuals (I'm piecing the album together with the individuals).

Off the top of my head Nashville is the one that sticks out the most, it features an acoustic guitar, and her vocals on that piece are really raw, different from the other imrpovs.

Let's hear from you!

"People should use Twilight as a building block. Only reading Twilight and nothing else is like traveling to a foreign country and being so fascinated with the train station that you just move in." - Thomas Passwater
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AndrewG
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I got the 23 track set but paid 23 bucks as it only seemed right.

I think the Philadelphia one is absolutely incredible. One of my favourite Immi tracks I've heard up until now. Can't quite believe it's an improv.

http://charity.imogenheap.com/album/philadelphia-live-improv-full-and-edit

It's beautiful and it sounds like it has some Celtic influences with regards to the melody.
Miel
Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I too absolutely love the Philadelphia one.

I thought the Washington DC improv was absolutely fantastic. And maybe the Santa Barbara one, too. edit: The Santa Barbara one is absolutely fabulous. Cool

And, just for pure bias, the San Diego one. >Very Happy

When I get the money, I'll buy all 23. Very Happy

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
jenifer111
Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
My idea for charity

* People who have lost belongings due to fire, flood, theft
* Nice people who have been beaten or attacked
* Nice people with illnesses that need money to cure
* Small businesses fighting corporations
* People caught in a stupid bureaucratic tangle
* People doing "athons" like cycling around the world
* Competitors trying to make it to an international event
Ambrosia
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Washington DC
Nashville
Dallas
Santa Barbara

There is another, but I can't recall at the moment.

Oh, and IMO Imogen did a great job of selecting from among the suggested charities for each venue's local area...

Cool
aHeapofImogen
Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I love Washington DC, Seattle, Houston, ...and like...the rest of them. Laughing hahaha I was at the Seattle one! It was so wonderful *_*
funkyspunky871
Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Gah! I've only got 13 of them. (Which happened to be all that was out at the time I bought them). Then, then rest came out, and I've been procrastinating! And... I haven't listened to any of them yet! Sad Um, I can explain. I just haven't put them on my iphone yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lil_G135
Posted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm working on it. I gave the first 15 a listen when they released, and now I'm listening to the rest as I buy them up :3 I opted out of getting the entire album because I like hearing the full tracks and I want to give each charity a decent amount =)

I thought I was biased, but so far the DC one is still in my top. Simply amazing... it creates such distinct mood/scene/feel when I listen to it (The mix with the drums on yt is fantastical too!).

Detroit is also in the top because I could recall the melody back quickest of them all, and it is a lovely tune. (I pat myself on the back for thinking on initial listen "this song needs words so bad!"right before immi came in with "this song needs some lyrics!")

I dunno what order I like them in though. I'll have to listen to them all and then rank them.
AutomaticTLC
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Really wish there was a way to DL all of the improvs INCLUDING the extended dialogs without having to do it individually. Got about a fourth of them DLed. Haven't listened yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lexixo13
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Have them all. I really love the one from Philadelphia. I was at that show and it was just so fantastic to be apart of it. What she does with all of the songs are so incredibly amazing!

Flickr

photography!!! =]