Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  'The Fire' piano cover

toby91
Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
I have been absolutely in awe of Imogen since December 2009 and have been amazed by the quality of her songs and creativity. I've never heard anything like her music! I really love the way she plays the piano and I aspire to be able to improvise in the way that she does, one day Smile
I decided to do a cover of 'The Fire' from Ellipse, because, although fairly short, it conveys so many emotions. It took quite a while to get the phrasing and parts right and I must have stopped and restarted the camera about 100 times before I got it right!!
Here it is though Smile Hope you all like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQQhf6YNMI

..The fire sound in the background is from Immi's 'instrumental' version of The Fire, which just contains the sound of the fire Smile
kev23
Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 Posts: 97 Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Great job Toby! Say, is that actually just an electric keyboard? Sounds fantastic, at least on the recording.

"Immi is the prettiest, tallest, most talented goddess ever to place her perfect lips in front of a microphone and emit dulcet waves of honey from her golden throat. The best albums ever made in world history are Frou Frou, I Megaphone, Speak For Yourself, Ellipse, and one track each on the Narnia and Shrek 2 soundtracks."
yummytea
Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
toby91 wrote:
I must have stopped and restarted the camera about 100 times before I got it right!!

Practice makes perfect! Wink

Well done! You play beautifully! Smile I wish I could play the piano like you...
toby91
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
@yummytea Thanks!! It's quite tricky to get all the little phrases right. Once learned though, it all seems to flow quite easily. As soon as there is a camera recording though, everything seems to get 10x more complicated!! Very Happy hehe
toby91
Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
@kev23 Thanks! Its a yamaha dgx-620 that I have on loan. It's fully weighted and has some alright piano sounds, but for this, I was using it as a MIDI controller. The piano sound was actually coming from 'Reason' sequencing software - I used an edited patch in the Reason Pianos library (Yamaha grand i think Smile ) Sounds great, although the dynamic range isnt that easy to work with - as in, it's very hard to get the soft, pianissimo samples to trigger, even when trying to play very lightly!. Very Happy
Ambrosia
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Very nice job, Toby.
Very Happy
toby91
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
Thanks!! Very Happy @Ambrosia
Senescence
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
Very very nice !
Bravo !