Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  Favourite Ellipse "moments"

Username
Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:24 am Reply with quote
The vibe of Aha!. <3
JoeJoeJoe
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
FTH - 3:41, when it comes back in again Smile love it. There is also a really high piano key that is played in every bar of the verse, just shows the depth she gives her music.

Little Birds- 2:39, when the shaking sound comes in Smile

Swoon- 3:02, when the first chorus (if you can call it that) comes in again instrumentally and you can really hear the contrast between the high and low notes.

Tidal - How the notes in the verse seem to subtley fade from loud to quiet in each bar of it verse. the subtle flat note at 1:16 in verse 2, (where the 8bit sounds are in verse 1), and where the guitar chord hastily fades in before the rock out at the end Smile

Bad Body Double - EVERY time those really low synth sounds vibrate through my headphones Smile
iJoey107
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote
I think the intro to every song on this album is just amazing. The violin on Tidal, synth riff on Swoon, shower in Bad Body Double, toy piano with mbira on Aha!, acoustic guitar on Canvas, chatter on Half Life. I also love the flute on both 2-1 and Half-Life; not sure if it's real or a synth but it sounds awesome!

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 Posts: 97 Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
iJoey107 wrote:
I also love the flute on both 2-1 and Half-Life; not sure if it's real or a synth but it sounds awesome!

It's actually a trumpet. Arve Henriksen plays with a very distinctive airy sound.

"Immi is the prettiest, tallest, most talented goddess ever to place her perfect lips in front of a microphone and emit dulcet waves of honey from her golden throat. The best albums ever made in world history are Frou Frou, I Megaphone, Speak For Yourself, Ellipse, and one track each on the Narnia and Shrek 2 soundtracks."
iJoey107
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
kev23 wrote:
iJoey107 wrote:
I also love the flute on both 2-1 and Half-Life; not sure if it's real or a synth but it sounds awesome!

It's actually a trumpet. Arve Henriksen plays with a very distinctive airy sound.

Thanks for letting me know! Incredibly interesting to me as a musician.

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
HilB126 wrote:
Chacron wrote:
For me, the biggest ones have been the Wait it Out Middle 8 section and outro,

This gives me chills EVERY time. I also love the transition from being recorded in the shower to the studio in the second verse of BBD. Who can resist bare booty slaps? Laughing

What is a Middle 8?

I really like the "So what?" parts of First train home, it's my favourite part of the song. Smile

"@MajaNilsson1996 Congrats on finishing "covered in white'. A lovely song w/some good twists/turns. YOUR voice sounds nice on it Smile x

@MajaNilsson1996 - though you've done great work, I won't be singing or playing on it though. Sorry. Lots of love.
"

http://soundcloud.com/majanilsson/covered-in-white
Wild Child II
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Cutieemusic1996 wrote:
HilB126 wrote:
Chacron wrote:

This gives me chills EVERY time. I also love the transition from being recorded in the shower to the studio in the second verse of BBD. Who can resist bare booty slaps? Laughing

What is a Middle 8?

I really like the "So what?" parts of First train home, it's my favourite part of the song. Smile

Congratulations, you like the middle 8! Razz

Cutieemusic1996
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Wild Child II wrote:
Cutieemusic1996 wrote:
HilB126 wrote:
Chacron wrote:

What is a Middle 8?

Congratulations, you like the middle 8! Razz

Please explain for me what it is.

"@MajaNilsson1996 Congrats on finishing "covered in white'. A lovely song w/some good twists/turns. YOUR voice sounds nice on it Smile x

@MajaNilsson1996 - though you've done great work, I won't be singing or playing on it though. Sorry. Lots of love.
"

http://soundcloud.com/majanilsson/covered-in-white
JACellist
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
The middle 8 is also sometimes known as the bridge. It has a different melody or chord structure from the rest of the song, and it's usually where an instrument solo happens. It's called the middle 8 because it happens in the middle of the song (sort of) and usually lasts 8 bars, or measures, in the music.

A pretty common song pattern is:
verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle 8, chorus.

Just apply that pattern to some of the songs you listen to (like First Train Home) and you'll have a good idea of what a middle 8 is. Does that help?