Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  Favourite Ellipse "moments"

AASPBY
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
TiFF wrote:
It's "bom chu bom" to me and will always be! Very Happy

I concur. I've started singing the "Bom chu bom" and I cannot change it now!

My favorite moments:

Immi's "Ahh ahh ha" in Wait It Out...which is probably the M8.

Swoon's explosion. No need to explain. That one encases me and I float gently through its clouds of sound.

Half Life's M8 makes me want to cry and hug Immi. So I love it.

I appreciate how "Aha!" allows me to sing like an opera singer.

The ending of "Tidal".
artistboy907
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
AASPBY wrote:
TiFF wrote:
It's "bom chu bom" to me and will always be! Very Happy

I concur. I've started singing the "Bom chu bom" and I cannot change it now!

My favorite moments:

Immi's "Ahh ahh ha" in Wait It Out...which is probably the M8.

Swoon's explosion. No need to explain. That one encases me and I float gently through its clouds of sound.

Half Life's M8 makes me want to cry and hug Immi. So I love it.

those are my FAVORITE parts! i loooooooooooove swoons explosion. when i heard it, i froze and my jaw dropped an i was in love. haha.
wait it out... omg. LOVE it.
half life m8... my favorite part of the entire album.
artistboy907
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
aaaaaaaaaaaaand Immi's laugh in Tidal... omg. its sooo cute! Very Happy
JonWes
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
I'm a sucker for a good bridge in a song and this album is full of them.

I adore the opening of First Train Home (and therefore, the album) because it feels like you're suddenly traveling along on that train. It's got such a great drive. It's like you've just emerged from some boring tunnel into Imogen Heap's world.

On Wait It Out, I just love the lyrics "All I want, only one, street level miracle / I'll be an out and out, born again, from none more cynical." That little bit of lyrics really sticks with me even when the song is done.

Little bird - "Unsaid festers in the throws of the sofa" - the whole songs is such an effective and downright chilling depiction of domestic malice. But that particular lyric is a standout.

The bridge of Swoon. Lovely.

Tidal. The rock out at the end. I remember her describing it. It's a great way to close the song.

The EVERYTHING of 2-1. I feel like the whole song is a moment. It's such a beautiful expression of something that might not be the most popular subject matter to a lot of people.

The la la la la la of Aha!

The soaring vocals at the end of Canvas.

And that's just a few.

HopelessRomantic
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:19 am Reply with quote
definitely when she says "bitch" in BBD; I don't know why, I just always giggle when I hear that

and the "oy" at the very end of Aha
Hayden
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't get enough of every part of Aha! Though, one of my favorite moments is the section with the small string ensemble, it just adds a texture that fits so well with with the feel of the rest of the song, though adds a totally new dimension at the same time. I really just can't get enough of this song.
EmmaHughes
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
The melancholy of Little Bird, especially the start. Very Happy

E
.x.

Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quite a bit from me, of what I remember. Idiot me chooses to go to the library without my headphones, but I think I can remember the biggies -:

Sounds//Music:

FTH -- The first 30ish seconds that gradually builds up to the first "Got to get on it" . It makes me feel all warm inside and when I realized, "She's back, she's really back :')"

Swoon -- The "Hmmm" right before the chorus. I'm also going to use that as a sound somewhere around my computer, you bet your socks.

-1:08-1:18ish. It was in the Amazon preview, and had me looking forward to the song ever since. This really "defines" Tidal for me the way the first 30 seconds defines FTH.

-2:33-35 I took this snippet to be my recyling bin sound after I'm done with the Tidal one.

Tidal -- 1:13ish - that video game sound.

-The sigh at 1:24-25ish.

-Immi's laugh. Always makes me smile.

Lyrics//

FTH -- "Doesn't change anything."

WTH -- "I'll be an out in out, born again from none more cynical" That's just one of those whimsical immi lines Smile

-The second time she sings "Everybody says..." I don't know what it is, but that range of voice is how I identify immi. I heard it in Details, S4Y, and now here. As the newness fades away I can't really point it out, but it's just something. I dunno ^_^;

-"In the one life that we've got" first time around, and then the "Aaa-aah" part. I swear that will be my shut down theme before the year is out.

Lil' Bird -- The blend of music and her voice when she sings, "What do you see?" It was in the amazon previews and that's what made me fall for it.

"Little bird, little bird, little bird what can we do?"

The last minute. Oh, if I had the resources and Imogen, I'd love to film this troubling end of a music video or something.

Tidal -- "Watch it closely, you see it begin to flicker", particularly "flicker". It's one of those words that touches my senses, what made me fall for Details so hard.

-I think it's from right before 1:13, but I took a snippet of the bg and it is now my recycling bin sound. Even my professor seemed to like it when I accidentally had the volume up a lil during class.

Speaking of which - time for that said class! Be back to edit...
Judamacaby
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Someone said "2-1" was an entire moment in itself, and I completely agree. That song gave me chills the first time I heard it. The violin is so melancholy it really makes you feel the emotion.

I adore "Aha". In the part right before the bridge it sounds like a Tim Burton movie to me. It's just like an entire orchestra. I also love it when she says, "No one saur it coming."

It's childish, but I giggled when she said, "I hear that stuffs a bitch to get rid of." in "Bad Body Double" and also laughed when she did her little scream. I NEVER heard the humming until I read this forum.

"Tidal" is one that I discover something new in every time I listen to it. Her laugh is so great.

Our radio station played "First Train Home" and "Canvas" soon after their singles were released and I was positively giddy having not heard any of her stuff on it. (I did win tickets to an Iron and Wine concert by requesting an Immi song once.)
emkappel
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
You're right little know-it-all Wink Perfect. I can hear the wink and all.

Earth in it's entirety. The vocal percussion is totally amazing. Best. Song. Ever.

In 2-1 she says, "I'm dying to know what's in your head, I'm dying to know how it all got in there. Tell me, is it my fault?" great lyrics and phrasing.

The round part in Little bird. "I swear I'll let it rest..."

And then a kiss.... mmm

The last sorta-verse in BBD. "Gonna roll you out on a pilates rubber ball"

Smile

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 am Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Jun 2007 Posts: 501 Location: somewhere in the central line.
1. FTH the SO what part from 2:45 - 3:20 <3 ahh!
2. WIO "fluorence lighthing sets the scene for all we could and should be being" and then the scream after "in the one life that we've got, AH AH AHHHHHHHHH"
3.earth the beggining "you're not golden, and im getting tired"
4.little bird:
5.swoon: do i really have to choose a moment? "any moment now you're gonna swoon, into my arms, woho oooh ohhh" 1:04 - 1:25
6.tidal: the chorus, "whiiiiiiiiiiileeeeeeeeee we're heeeeeeere lets see what happens..." and the bom cu bom OH yes and the wuoooh ohh after "wonder what you are" @1:16

7.between sheets - and then a kiss, MAYBE ANOTHER (maybe another) this is probably my favorite moment of the WHOLE album

8.2-1 the cumulus-que sound at 2:57
9.BBD: "gonna get rid from I'm gonna get rid of you once and for all..." all the end
10. aha : the "laralalalalaaaa lalalaaaaa "1:15 but i love EVERY little blip of that song
11.the fire: 1:16 - 1:36
12. canvas Wuo wuo wuo uo uo oh
13.Half life: "but i still like to pretend thatim the only one you want to grow old with"

Ahh.. ellipse <3

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one that doesn't like the round in Little Bird? I'll admit, I'm starting to become okay with it being there. I don't know, something about it. I just wish it skipped to the "where have you gone?" part and left it at that.

-Back on topic, what i DO like:

-Like Judamacaby, I also love "No one saur it coming." Love that accent.

-That sort of...trumpet harmony duet at the very end of Half Life. The last few notes they play. Just...so sad. And the pizzicato earlier in the song. I'm a sucker for the sound of plucked strings.

-The "Aaa haaaa!" plus the electric guitar in Wait It Out for some reason has this 90s feel to it (for me at least). And that makes me all nostalgic. Oh, and the harmonizer...I wish it was turned up more. Ever since I heard it in the blog. I couldn't wait to hear it in full quality, so I was slightly disappointed it was turned down a bit.
AvantGuy
Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ellipse has many great moments, but Half Life is special for me. I'm in awe when a piece of music brings me to tears, and Half Life shoots a real zinger at 1:36. What a gorgeous composition, and so incredibly sparse, 'tis.
frooosh
Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Furkel wrote:
That "OI!" at the end of Aha certainly made my day Smile

I love that! I say it with her every time =D

My other favourites are (this is so difficult!):

- The entire opening to "First Train Home". It literally makes my heart clench with joy.

- "This is not a fire drill, and if we hold any hope..." I love the tone of the lyrics in Earth; how it's all phrased like a scolding mother talking to her precocious, bratty little kids.

- The frantic music-box kind of sound of Aha!.

- Tidal. All of it. The crescendo of lushness that is that damn track. Crocodiles! The gameboy sound-effect! Do it for England! <3

- That funny sucking-in sound in Bad Body Double.

- Immi's voice in Half Life.

- "...down and dirty with the lotion". Enough said.
LTG2201
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Tidal - the last "Do what you want, just how you like", actually the whole ending of Tidal is a really great 'moment'.

The scream in BBD.

"Let me be the Great Scott, tip top..."etc in Swoon.

Half Life "You know you'll never be lonely, you'll always be loved"

As frooosh said, the beginning of FTH. It just sounds so good, and also reminds me of the first time listening to it, when Immi played it on that radio station.

The whole of Wait It Out, especially the H&Sish bits.

Plus loads of others
Kimmielingus
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Of course, the "OI!" in Aha, it makes me happy Very Happy

Lots of things in BBD, the scream, the breath for holding it in, and the bit where she's singing in the shower.
The intro to WIO is gorgeous, too.

Haven't listened to the album enough to know more! I shall put that on my to-do list.

Just find a light, and switch it off.
As easy as blinking.
poetoffire
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
2-1: The silence and then she breaks out with that haunting "Tell me, is it my fault?" Actually, the entire song. The weird sounds at the beginning, too.

In the entire album: any time she sings without lyrics, from Canvas's "whoa whoa whoa whoa" to Aha's "aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaa" moaning. Her lyrics are wonderful, but without them her astounding voice truly shines.
Miel
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Holy crap I love this topic.

I actually have a surprising/favorite moment for each song.

First Train Home- The intro. It felt so nostalgic, like coming back to something I haven't seen in such a long time. Oh, and the end.

Wait It Out- The "Ahaaaaa!" part. After watching the original live PopTech version, I never expected this part.

Earth- The fact it was acapella. Oh, and "dum diddly dum". Wink

Little Bird- The beat and sounds. Once you listen to the instrumental, you'll realize how surprisingly (and hauntingly) simple the song is.

Swoon- The energy, and the dirty-ish lyrics. "Gotcha down and dirty with the lotion!" Shocked

Tidal- The 8-bit sounds, Ashwin Srinivasan's background vocals, and the end. The end was so iMegaphone-esque to me.

Between Sheets- The surprising clarity and peacefulness of it as a whole. It's something I'd listen to over and over again.

2-1- The drums, the "tell me is it my fault", the beats right afterwards, and it's general lyrics give me goosebumps.

Bad Body Double- The hilarity, the ass-slapping, and the meaning. Ah...

Aha!- "AHA!". The song as a whole. Scary, creepy, rustic, and beautiful. Oh, and "You killed a man!"

The Fire- Again, the song as a whole, and the end. It was really beautiful.

Canvas- The mid-8 (I think, I'm no musical expert), where the cello and violin and all the sounds change, and it becomes bastardly intense. Then, out of nowhere, the end, where it's just simple beats and a simple drone.

Half-Life- The whole meaning. It's so sad, so heartbreaking. And the really long silence in the end. It leaves me shattered.

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
Pollyfilla
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
The ending of First Train Home, the climax in Wait It Out, the ending of Little Bird, the cello lines in Canvas and A-ha, the second chorus of Half Life.

Funnily enough, my least favorite song in the album is Tidal, closely followed by Swoon.
TómasAlexander
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Nov 2009 Posts: 331 Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Holy, how to pick!...

1. I love the middle 8 for FTH
2. I LOVE the harmonized refrain in WIO
3. Earth is just plain genius from beginning to end but I like the "boom chicka ooh" at the very end.
4. I love the sound at the end of the round that sounds like a spinning bowl coming to a stop in Little Bird
5. The "Great Scott, tip top pit stop..." refrain in Swoon.
6. The "do it for England" and the rock out at the end of Tidal as well as the "What we got to lose" after the laugh.
7. The mmmmmmmm's in Between Sheets as well as "Yellow Stickies"
8. I love the "flute-like" sound that comes between "tell me is it my fault" and "And I care about you darling.." in 2-1. Plus the fact that the song used to be called "polyfilla" and that its now called "2-1" which is the mix ratio of water to polyfilla.
9. I love the mbira riff she has going on between "she's trouble alright' and "can't shake her, can't shake her..." in BBD. I wish I had written it! JEALOUS...
10. I really like all of Aha! but I especially like the "la la la la la la's" and the OI! as well as the cello in the last verse.
11. The almost inaudible last note at the end of The Fire that brings you back to the tonic.
12. Canvas is (I think) my favorite song on the record so its hard to pick a moment in the song that I like better than others. I think the piano riff at the beginning is my favorite.
13. I love the line "you've got a world to keep sweet" and the hold me middle 8 in Half Life.

Its really hard in a record full of favorite moments to pick even just ONE per song! Whoever thought up this topic is both cruel AND unusual... Laughing

http://twitter.com/Tomskander
funkyspunky871
Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
I couldn't find the laugh in Tidal at first and I listen to it alllll the time!! But I found it, haha. Loved it; how did I miss it? I think it's that flutey sound covered it u to me

Anyways:

First Train Home: The beginning where the beat starts, the sound at :46-48ish, "so what" part in general!, "silly hat on" is my favorite!, the ending woahs in the background

Wait It Out: dum, dum dum, in the beginning, ba doom in background, "oh in the end", definitely the ahhhhs, the movement in the last note!

Earth: the voice beat Smile, "stereo symbiosis"!!!, "around me, child", "do you luhove me?" in the background, "You're only what you give back, back", the repeated verse in the background at the end, horselike sigh at the very end

Little Bird: birds chirping along with the arpeggio-like notes, all of the harmony!,
"rats in the kitchen", "simon says etch a sketch", the round of "I've got one more question and I swear I'll lest it rest,"

Swoon: alien spacecraft sound in background, "shake it up and get it on", "you're right little know-it-all", sudden burst of energy, beat at 3:02 and so on,

Tidal: Electronic sounds, flute sound before her laugh, her laugh of course, "got, got, got", the woahs after "never wonder what you are", the woah before "do what you feel", DO IT FOR ENGLAND Very Happy, robotic sound to voice at end

Between Sheets: The whole beginning, "yellow stickies" makes me smile every time, plinks/piano notes at :59 and etc., the movement in "kiss", stacked up harmony at end, real soft mmm at very end

2-1: Everything!!!! reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean in the beginning, the bass in the beginning, her enunciation of the t in "not always", 1:19 and etc., "strong (strooooong)", the whole "I'm dying to know" part, flute after "tell me is it my fault",

Bad Body Double: the humming in the shower, when she says bitch; it just cracks me up, random guitar, how it sounds like a bunch of people stomping on bleachers when guitar comes in, "say hi there" and like 3:04,

Aha!: "happy clappy", "biscuit tin" could she be talking about that cookie box she stole from the hotel?, "sneaky in suburbia", all the lalala's, the movement on "very charming", opera-like ahas!, OI!

The Fire: Everything!!! Especially the fire in the background, clashes and dissonance, last note

Canvas: Again everything really! piano(?) in the beginning!, "black canvas", movement on "easy", woah-woahs, climbing notes sometime after woahs,

Half Life: talking people (I didn't notice it at all at first because I always thought I was hearing somebody's conversation through my headphones), all the harmony, the woahs that sound like waves and the instrumental repetition!, "compressed tight to EXPLODE!", piano at very end in the background

Haha, I love this album. I love everything. This was really hard just to write a few for every song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kev23
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:17 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 Posts: 97 Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Definitely the part of Canvas right after the "whoa whoa whoa's" until the end. It's so amazing to watch the video at that part with the volume cranked up. *shivers* So epic!! Seeing that video on youtube was what got me really really excited about the new album.

"Immi is the prettiest, tallest, most talented goddess ever to place her perfect lips in front of a microphone and emit dulcet waves of honey from her golden throat. The best albums ever made in world history are Frou Frou, I Megaphone, Speak For Yourself, Ellipse, and one track each on the Narnia and Shrek 2 soundtracks."
Swizzlestick
Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
For me, Canvas really spoke to me in waves and volumes. It wakes up feelings inside of me that I try not to feel and it takes very powerful music to do that. I think the song is just amazingly beautiful and I told my boyfriend that if I had to choose only one song to listen to for the rest of my life, that would be it.
zombizzle
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
SJHeap wrote:
Every part of BBD, plus the music at the very end when it fades out, I don't know how to describe it, but I wish the music would've been on the rest of the song.

& the beginning of 'Swoon', can't stop listening to the instrumental version of it =)

No doubt, BBD is one of my favorites. I love the part near the end where she says "she's everywhere I go!!!" The jump to the major 3rd (10th) is awesome, and the tone of her voice is great as well. Also the "hater" part before that, the nuances and note choices just kill me every time. Love it. Her voice on half life is incredible too, so soft and fragile.
Ken's_Odyssey
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
The word I’d use to describe ‘Between Sheets’ is sensuous. It’s totally sensuous. But the moment I’d select is heard in the early and late measures, starting near the 1 minute point and again at 2 minutes and then closing. It’s the sigh. Not just a short sigh but a long, languid, drawn-out sigh -- that’s in perfect accord with the song. I think men hear that sigh deep in their psyche and I’ll wager it must be programmed somehow in our DNA. Maybe some bond from prehistoric times makes us respond to women crying or sighing like that. It grabs me every time.
runwithme
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
i love the line "so charming... very charming" in aha!
Miel
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
I also love the pitch bend in the middle of Bad Body Double for some reason. lolololol

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
Gladrin
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I finally received the album, and even though i had already listened to almost every song on youtube, it was still full of surprises for me.

I'd have to say that listening to "Little Bird" was my special moment. It was one of the rare songs that i still hadn't heard (with Swoon and The Fire), and i'm quite glad that the first time i heard it was on a CD (good quality) because it is really beautiful.

Also, in "Wait it out" at the end, when she sings "and sit here, just going to wait it out", the sound in the background, getting louder and louder makes it so strong. ^^

Oh and of course, the instrumental pieces were beautiful. I was able to hear sounds, and instruments that i hadn't noticed in the normal version.

It's so hard to express one's feelings in an other language Laughing
aha!
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Where she turns the vocal all fuzzy 'Indian' at the 3min mark.
aha!
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Sorry!! You need the track don't you... Tidal.