Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  2-1 Lyrics

desired_wasteland
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Dec 2008 Posts: 414 Location: iBabble, MSN, Bedroom
OBVIOUSLY ALL THE LYRICS ARE UP FOR DEBATE ON WHAT EVERYBODY HEARS AND CAN'T BE OFFICIAL UNTIL THEY ARE RELEASED FROM IMMI HERSELF

first the earth was flat
but it fattened up when we didn't fall off
now we spin laps 'round the sun
all the gods lost, 2-1
a host of heaven pointed out to us from light years away
we're surrounded by a billion galaxies

things are not always
things are not always how they seem
will you be ready? will you be ready?

the interim of life
has got you tiptoed and pinning all your hopes
on the talk-talk of dreams
you're not alone in this
the polyfilla way; look strong in the weakness of the gaps

things are not always
they don't turn out always
don't quite turn out always how we think
will we ready? will we be ready?

i'm dying to know, what's in your head
i'm dying to know, how it all got in there
i'm dying to know, to help make some sense of it all
i'm dying to know, tell me, is it my fault?

and i care about you, darling
and i care about you
cause i care about you, more than anyone else

things are not always
will we be ready?

Last edited by desired_wasteland on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:39 pm; edited 4 times in total

All the gods lost 2-1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thatcat
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
this may become my fav track. put on immi armour and face the music!

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
tell me, it's a blindfold

I'm pretty sure it's "tell me, is it my fault?" Smile
desired_wasteland
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
^It is, thanks!

I think immi should release a video for this like the opposite of Canvas. Once those drums kick in I always imagine lava shooting out of volcanoes and magma sliding down the sides. Even if she wasn't in it, it'd be pure epic-ness!

All the gods lost 2-1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chacron
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
isnt it "but we found out" instead of "flattened up?" gah we need the official lyrics already
AshesBorn
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Chacron
It's "but it fattened up"...
Chacron
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
so it is! :S
soccerstar6v6
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8zn8UXaps
DavidB
Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I think it is 'host of heaven' and 'interim of life'. But I'm not at all sure. It may be clearer with full quality sound.
shh
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quote
I love this song

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Just a few things I corrected that I THINK are right, all bolded:
LOVE this song.

first the earth was flat
all the gods lost, 2-1
a host of heaven pointed out to us from light years away

things are not always
will you be ready? will you be ready?

the interim of life
has got you tip-toed and pinning all your hopes
on the talk-talk of dreams
you're not alone in this
the polyfiller way; it looks strong in the weakness of the gaps

things are not always
will we ready? will we be ready?

i'm dying to know, what's in your head
i'm dying to know, how it all got in there
i'm dying to know, to help make some sense of it all
i'm dying to know, tell me, is it my fault?

and i care about you, darling
and i care about you
cause i care about you, more than anyone else

things are not always
will we be ready?

adamtce
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:57 am Reply with quote
JonWes wrote:

the polyfiller white; it looks strong in the weakness of the gaps

i hear that
photographicfaery
Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I love when she sings

& I care, about you darling.

It's just gorgeous.
personevery
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
has anyone seen this kids music video creation for the song 2-1. He didn't finish it though, but there are random paintings and different works of art that are of immi in it. They look good. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBcu2Buy-co
desired_wasteland
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
^That is EPIC, do you know how he did it?

@JonWes, thanks for the corrections!

All the gods lost 2-1
soccerstar6v6
Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
desired_wasteland wrote:
^That is EPIC, do you know how he did it?

@JonWes, thanks for the corrections!

It's not finished yet.... I've uploaded more of it though.... I'm just up past the second chorus... here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6KktoMByy4

Let me tell you that there are soooo many layers in the video, it took 2 hours to render just the 2 minutes of it!!!!
EmmaRose
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
Soccerstar6v6 this is really good. I hope you're planning on uploading it to the Covers section of The Hideaway? I think they even have a competition going on right now! Thanks for sharing it with us.
soccerstar6v6
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
EmmaRose wrote:
Soccerstar6v6 this is really good. I hope you're planning on uploading it to the Covers section of The Hideaway? I think they even have a competition going on right now! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Oh Cool!!! Covers section? Where is that?
adamtce
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote
he may have been talking about the one hosted on teleheap.us by thehideaway.us
LTG2201
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
I've got a physical version of Ellipse, and it says:

Quote:
first the earth was flat
all the gods lost, 2-1
And holes to heaven pointed out to us from light years away

Quote:
the interim of life
has got you tiptoed and pinning all your hopes
on the top dog of dreams
you're not alone in this
the polyfilla way; look strong in the weakness of the gaps

Everything else is the same
windkirby
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
So, um... what does everyone think this song is about?
I thought it was about how it seemed that humans had won the war over the gods that had created them... but things weren't always what they seemed. (Will we be ready for when we have to answer to them?) The first verse says how we're just creations that aren't allowed to do just whatever we want, and the second verse talks about how we pin our hopes on dreams instead of the inevitable reality of what's to come.
Oh, and I don't think the song was exactly meant as a religious statement or anything, but more of an idea to get the listener thinking, so please don't bash me because you don't believe in God or gods or something Razz

Anyway, that's what I thought, but the bridge doesn't seem to fit with my theory, unless she's talking to one of the gods, which seems a bit odd... Ideas?
JonWes
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
My favorite!

Here's my take:

The song starts off talking about things we, as humanity, used to believe in - we thought the earth was flat, but then-through knowledge-we learned the truth. The earth is not flat. There is gravity. We are a planet that revolves around the sun (and the sun does not revolve around us.)

The popular notion of the Roman and Greek pantheons fell by the wayside ...

Humanity looked to the sky and saw points of light and called them angels. Now we know they are stars.

These are all examples of things humanity accepted as basic truths that were eventually proven false and/or abandoned.

Then she talks about life (an interim, which seems to suggest a short span to me - perhaps a hint at it's ephemeral-and thereby precious?- nature) - about how we, as humans, want to believe in dreams... and I think by further extension about the basic desire we seem to have to believe in something magical or beyond us... the "top dog" of dreams.

Then, the polyfilla - it looks strong in the gaps. Now this is where I think it get's pretty direct, although in a lovely poetic way. Have you heard of the God of the gaps? Basically, it's the idea that God inhabits our gaps in knowledge because that's the only place he CAN exist. The more we learn about the universe the more that the idea of God seems to make less sense. The gaps are where he thrives and where his/her/its strength lies. When some are faced with an unknown, they put God there as an answer. So basically, some people use God as a sort of do-it-all spackle for the cracks in their understanding. See how beautiful and clever that is?

So the chorus is basically - a warning? a question? a fear? Maybe all three and even more besides? I think it's one of those songs that has a lot of subtle shades so that, to the listener, it can have a lot of tweaks on the basic meaning. But I think the basic idea is - what if the things you think of as true and absolute aren't that way? I think it can be seen as a general statement. I don't know that Imogen is making a declaration about her faith or lack thereof or anything necessarily. It's more of a question. Will we be ready if, like so many things before, these things are false as well?

I might have my thoguhts about what she thinks but that's all they are and her thoughts are hers to share if and when she feels like it. She did NOT feel like it at the post-Letterman Vokle because I kind of asked where her thoughts were at and she didn't really want to say at the moment. I can see because, even just thinking about something like this (if I'm on the mark at all) can be pretty controversial. A big fun party is not really the place. LOL.

And then the bridge... well, that is a bit of a mystery. Is she speaking to someone of faith, someone whom she cares about? It's a plea for understanding... but who is she trying to understand? Someone who still believes in God... someone who doesn't? God him/her/itself? Not sure on that one.

Anyway, that's my take. I feel pretty comfortable about it. I love the song because of it... that and because it's such a beautiful song too. I'd love for it to be a single... but I kind of doubt it ever will. Smile

windkirby
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Hey, that's really interesting! And I think it definitely makes more sense than what I was thinking. That concept makes the song pretty depressing IMO, but it's still a cool thing to write a song about. And the title "2-1" would kind of express how we're "winning" and making progress. But could it also be interpretted as "two minus one"? As in, we leave things behind through our victories?
If your idea is what was intended (which I'm pretty sure of), it's a pretty controversial song. But again I don't think necessarily one has to have a certain religion to get edification from it.
Wild Child
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I know this is nowhere near where she was going with the song - but I mean...it was for a Narnia film, so I thought it would be kinda weird if it wasn't somewhat for God...as opposed to against... (But looking at the artists they choose for films, I wouldn't be surprised. Is it that hard to choose Christian artists for a Christian story? Whose in charge anyway? - No offense to the artists they chose, I honestly enjoyed their music...but i mean...come on...)

Anyway, the first things that popped into my head when hearing the song were things that "science" believes. The whole "gap" thing made me think of the theory of evolution. I mean, it's got more holes than spongebob. The interim - the time between the beginning of creation and when the last day will be. The time of comfortable, bliss-full ignorance before people who deny God's existence will learn the truth:

Matt 38-39: "For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and they did not understand until the flood came and took them all away; so will the coming of the Son of Man be. "

There have always been times in history where "science" seemed right and was just generally accepted. (I'm putting this type of "science" in quotations out of respect for real science, not the stuff these do-do brains are in charge of...) But it always turned out what was generally accepted was really just un-scientific, of course:

-"Science" used to believe the earth was flat - the Bible stated otherwise.
-"Science" believed something was holding us up - the Bible stated we are suspended by nothing in space.
-"Science" believes we evolved - the Bible says otherwise.

The "top-dog" is evolution - the ultimate excuse to not believe in God.
But things are not always as they seem...

"And I care about you darling" - Why do you believe such nonsense? I care enough to tell you you're wrong, even if you're offended. Will you be ready?

I know that my interpretation is flat-out wrong and the second post up above mine is most likely right about what Imogen was saying. It's just...the whole pointing angry fingers at God thing is too easy... I was hoping it would be more original... Oh well.

(And I am in no way trying to offend evolutionists, this is my interpretation... sort of...)
windkirby
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I thought that "Can't Take it In" was written for Narnia - this was, also? That would be a big factor in interpretation for me because I have trouble believing such an atheistic song would be written for such a Christian film...
JonWes
Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where people got the idea 2-1 was for Caspian. I don't remember that.

SpiderTodd
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
JonWes wrote:
I'm not sure where people got the idea 2-1 was for Caspian. I don't remember that.

What you mean?

In vBlog # 21 she mentions that the song was played as an idea for the film but they denied it because it was "Too dark" for the film.But back then it was called "polyfilla".
SpiderTodd
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
To add to the meaning. I know she likes to keep it under wraps, kinda like she did with Hide and Seek, (even though we kind of know what it's about.)
But if I recall right I remember seeing in an interview where she discusses the song, she said "It's something that I have been meaning to get off my chest for a while."
I think it's really beautiful. The instrumental and the Vox. one.
I know at first when reviewing the lyrics I took the lyrics way too literally. So I'm thinking that there is something hidden in these beautiful lyrics, we just cant see them yet.
windkirby
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Well at any rate I don't dismiss Wild Child's interpretation as "flat-out wrong" at all. I mean when you listen to the song it sounds so ominous and creepy with that centipede-ish sound effect. And when I think of humanity coming to know more and more about the world around them... I really don't think creepy. I think the "the end of all this is coming" interpretation at the very least has more merit in terms of fitting the song's mood. Personally I might be changing my mind a second time, haha.
Whichever is correct, I think we can all agree the first verse is about humanity pulling away from God/gods in light of scientific progress. (The earth is not flat, spinning laps around the son.) Whether this is portrayed as a good or bad thing is what's in question (at least to me). One of the things that does turn me off of the athiestic interpretation a bit is the line "holes to heaven," where "holes in heaven" would be much more appropriate according to the theory. "Holes to heaven pointed out to us from lightyears away; now we're surrounded by a billion galaxies" really sounds more like "God was reaching out to us, but we got distracted by the science how many galaxies there were" and less like "God doesn't exist because of how many galaxies there are."
The chorus is most debatable - so far, it either refers to how we were wrong in thinking that there was a God, will be be ready for progress? Or, it could refer to how we're wrong in thinking there is no God, will we be ready for when we're proved incorrect?
The second verse we can all seem to agree is talking about the inspiring, but in the end false, "top dog," whether it is science or God. And the bridge seems to include the singer talking to someone who holds the wrong ideas, trying to get him/her to understand, either that there really is a God, or that there really is no God.

I know a lot of that was repetition, but I'm finding this study really interesting. It's amazing Immi can create so much discussion just from a three or four minute song.

Oh yeah, and it might look like I'm shoving words in people's mouths in this post - Don't mean to - I'm... just using the royal we. >_>

Last edited by windkirby on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
AASPBY
Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
JonWes, I am SO GLAD you saw God references in there too!

I was walking around my neighborhood one night listening to this song and I was like, "I really think she's talking about God here..."

I also felt it was about the skeptics, as you said in other words, who refuse to look at things from any other point of view except the Biblical views. The people are here are TERRIBLE about that. There's no such thing as a "what if?" question. The answer is ALWAYS: God. Buh.

However, she loses me when she says "tell me is it my fault?"