Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  Earth (Imprints Remix)

himynameisprints
Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually do any remixes of any sort, however, this song inspired many interesting things that I had to do something with it.

It is mainly a remix with the percussion highlighted. I've added some synths in select parts as well. The song was so atmospheric on it's own that minimal accompaniment was needed.

Anyways, I hope everyone enjoys it. I like to think of it as 'Earth with Wires" or something like that. I hope it does not insult the artists original intention. Wink

http://soundcloud.com/imprints/imogen-heap-earth-imprints-remix
himynameisprints
Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
nobody loves me... it's true...

(not like you do)

Wink
himynameisprints
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
Well, my remix has been removed by request of RCA. These things happen, and I completely understand. Obviously, it was not received very well here on these forums, so I expect that the removal has some connection. Maybe I'm taking this too personally, or nobody cares... but I'm sorry if I offended anyone in any way. I love the song 'Earth', and I do understand that the natural qualities of the recording are part of the message.

Since nobody here even took the time to even say hello to a fellow Imogen Heap fan, I am left with one option: To do nothing. Smile

music is my life.

http://www.deadlightbulbinc.com
emkappel
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever seen this post before. I'd love to hear the remix if you'd be willing to send it to me... or something.

And Hello Smile

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
I don't think that's intentional - and heck fan mixes are encouraged on this forum..
Check Jame's info for fanmixers:
http://imogenheap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1783

If it followed those rules then I don't think there should have been a problem.

RCA requesting a mix to be removed is quite rare - but then again they may have started to go through soundcloud. Will point this out to James. RCA are Immi's american publishers and recently decided that no one outside the US could see Immi's music videos... (errr she's a british artisit???) they can be a bit over-zealous at times. I guess they just have a list of people who are signed and just try and protect them... just a bit of cross fire. Don't be discouraged.

I too would love to hear your mix - try doing a megaupload of it or something?

People being quiet doesn't mean too much here, it's not the busiest of forums so don't be too disheartened.

Also I suggest the inspired forum instead of the ellipse stuff. I may move this thread if it becomes active or I'll just let it drop naturally...

Over there stands my angry angel...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oh Jay
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Posts: 747 Location: "somewhere out there ... in the city of trees ..."
i haven't seen the original posting here too , as i wasn't visiting the forum around the time , sorry ! Embarassed

i would like to hear the mix as well btw ! Wink

anyway ... soundcloud really begins to suck , as major labels desperately try to delete ANY content from it that has the smallest snippet in it from one of "their" artists - incl. dj mixes & podcasts ! Shocked
so it's not jus' RCA , but all of "the big 4" & their sublabels ! *sigh*
as a reaction to that people already move away from soundcloud to official.fm or other places on the net ( like they always did before ) to share their mixes , podcasts etc. with potential listeners !
what's the "video not available in your country" bullshit of u-tube has now hit soundcloud too & will sooner or later destroy a formerly good platform ! Rolling Eyes
"the big 4" have by now alienated so many people that it's already an "us or them" situation , which is bad for all artists , who still have a contract with a major label ! *sigh*
well done ( NOT Exclamation ) , RCA & co. ! Rolling Eyes

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
This is now being looked into.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
himynameisprints
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
i put the mix up on my server. thanks for the kind words. Smile
i pay for my soundcloud account, so it's unfortunate that this kind of stuff happens.

http://www.deadlightbulbinc.com/files/earth_imprints_remix.zip

-Jon Prints
JACellist
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
There's some really nice percussion going on! I think that if you could somehow replace the a cappella accompaniment with some other instrument it might sound more unified as remix. It actually made me think of this performance that AndrewG posted. That may be because I haven't heard any other version of Earth that uses actual percussion.
I like your drums a lot more than the above link, and if you extracted the lead vocal and added some piano or something else it could sound really cool.

You did a good job. I'm sorry that I didn't see your remix earlier!
himynameisprints
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
thanks! yeah i guess some more instruments could have made it a bit better.

I guess I should mention the fact that I used no 'real' instruments. i just like to test my limits with drum programming and such. i was listening to the song late one night and just heard grandiose percussion in the back of my mind.

if you're interested in hearing more fun drum programming:
http://soundcloud.com/imprints/televised-instrumental

Smile
Energy
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Glad you re-up'd it Smile I've downloaded it and will add it to my work playlist and will let you know what I think.

As for soundcloud, managment is looking into this and trying to sort it so this shouldn't happen again. Sorry you got caught up in it!

Oh Jay
Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Joined: 02 Jan 2007 Posts: 747 Location: "somewhere out there ... in the city of trees ..."
i like the imprints remix ! Smile
it adds a good groove to the tune & doesn't destroy the actual song like way too many remixes do these days !
thumbs up from me ... & i may even consider to play it in one of my next radio shows ! Wink

btw : i really wouldn't pay for soundcloud - @ least not any longer now !

cheers ! Cool

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
emkappel wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen this post before. I'd love to hear the remix if you'd be willing to send it to me... or something.

And Hello Smile

Never say sorry mate.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:40 am Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing, Imprint. I agree more instruments and parts could have been used but also like that the song isn't ripped up and covered in delays ect. Speaking of which, you've inspired me to do some kind of earth remix myself. Going well so far, this is a really fun track to work with!
himynameisprints
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you all for the kind words. If someone else would like to contribute to this remix I will gladly provide the stems for my drum programming and the synth work I added as well.

I'm just trying to get heard in this world.. I guess that's the request of any artist. I have been writing and recording since I was 13 (I'm 27 now) and I am very dedicated to the work I do.

I really appreciate the responses this community has given me... and I understand that some things can get easily overlooked.

Anyone is welcome to use this remix for broadcast. I would only ask for maybe a plug to my main project page (http://www.soundcloud.com/imprints)

The styles I make are very diverse... please don't be thrown off by the variety Smile

i look forward to speaking with you all more!

Jon (aka Prints)
himynameisprints
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
zombizzle wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Imprint. I agree more instruments and parts could have been used but also like that the song isn't ripped up and covered in delays ect. Speaking of which, you've inspired me to do some kind of earth remix myself. Going well so far, this is a really fun track to work with!

Awesome! I look forward to hearing it. Smile It is a very fun track to work with.