Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  Aha! for Marching Band

DavidB
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I noticed a news report that Immi's Aha! was becoming a popular request for marching bands in the US. That sounded a bit weird, but I searched YouTube for examples and found this one (Aha doesn't get going until about a minute in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXlv4fg2wB4

It does sound weird, but I'm impressed by the musicianship.
zombizzle
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
That's cool. I've always thought Aha! would work well in a marching band situation. This is DCI which is something like "professional marching band". An idea for a show I've had for a while would be Earth as the opener, Hide and Seek as the obligatory slow, ballad like middle song, and then of course Aha! as the closer. I've seen H&S in a marching show before though still no dice for earth. I'm sure Earth would sound great if played by a drum corp, the brass playing the fanfare-like intro to Earth would kill!
JACellist
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:41 pm Reply with quote
They do sound good! That band is one of the independents that competes in Drum Corps International. They actually just placed 3rd in quarterfinals today. Most marching bands aren't going to sound like that.

Aha! is actually a pretty good fit for a marching band show. Marching shows, especially in drum corps, follow a pattern in the movements of music. I'm guessing that this is the song that's supposed to showcase their percussion. The fast scales and arpeggios sound fantastic on all the mallet instruments!

Infact, we picked a similar sort of song for our percussion feature whenever I was in marching band. I only participated one year as the marching electric cellist though, so I'm no expert.
Lexixo13
Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. Smile Would love to play that in marching band. My college marching band is large so it might sound just a good

Flickr

photography!!! =]