Imogen Heap - iBabble Forum Index

<  'Ellipse' Discussion  ~  Trascribing 'Earth'

emkappel
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Imogen has said several times that she'd like to do 'Earth' when she comes back to the U.S. with vocal groups, and I'd like to take that offer on. (If not to perform with her, just a cool add to a concert Wink)

So has anyone else either thought about/started transcribing Earth for a vocal group?

Just curious Smile

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I always thought she was going to look for vocal groups through Vokle, alá her cello auditions.

I also thought that she could have done Earth live the way she did Just For Now live, making acapella loops and all that. But, then again, it'll take a whole lot longer to build up than Just For Now.

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
danny
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
i've started an arrangement... it's pretty fun! though in its early early early stages.

emkappel
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I always thought she was going to look for vocal groups through Vokle, alá her cello auditions.

Sorry I wasn't being very clear! I have some choir classmates who also LOVE the song, and want to perform it (even if not with Immi) We'll be ready for the Vokle session, don't you worry. (:

And mine is in very early stages as well. I have a map of sections, but no rhythms written out yet.

Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
^ Ah, okay. I need to work on my grammar, Razz/

"SUCH BIG WOOORDS!!"

JESUS IS THE NEW BLACK, AUU
emkappel
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
danny:
i've started an arrangement... it's pretty fun! though in its early early early stages.

What software are you using, if any?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to transcribe it for a while, mostly for solo/looped electric bass but will arrange it for other instruments and voice. I'm working on an arrangement for Hide and Seek for low brass and it sounds great.

Also, kind of odd but I think Earth would be a great song to arrange for marching band or Drum Corp. That would take some time....
DavidB
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Maybe Immi intends to score her own arrangement of 'Earth', as she did for the cello part of 'Aha!' But a full choral score would be very complicated, would need a lot of practice, and wouldn't be suited to every group. I guess groups will vary in numbers, the balance of different types of voice, abilities to read music, and so on. I think it would make more sense for each group to make their own arrangement, which they could then use in their own repertoire even if they don't get to perform with Immi. Maybe it would help if groups who are interested in having a go would Tweet Immi about it to remind her. It's not the kind of thing people can do with only a few days notice.
emkappel
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
DavidB:
Maybe Immi intends to score her own arrangement of 'Earth', as she did for the cello part of 'Aha!' But a full choral score would be very complicated, would need a lot of practice, and wouldn't be suited to every group. I guess groups will vary in numbers, the balance of different types of voice, abilities to read music, and so on. I think it would make more sense for each group to make their own arrangement, which they could then use in their own repertoire even if they don't get to perform with Immi. Maybe it would help if groups who are interested in having a go would Tweet Immi about it to remind her. It's not the kind of thing people can do with only a few days notice.

I think music is all about interpretation. So whether she ends up doing auditions or not, I'll still have a basic arrangement to work on with my group. (and we PLAN on using it for another concert - like a senior project) She's said several times that she likes to gain others' perspective and hear new (updated, that's a bad explanation) arrangements of her songs.

And I've already tweeted her about it... wonder when she'll get back. Smile

Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:11 am Reply with quote
I never noticed, but Earth isn't in standard time. Is it 3/4 or 6/4? I'm leaning towards 6/4 as the phrases usually wrap up in 6 beats. Please don't tell me it's in 6/8!! Shocked
kev23
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 Posts: 97 Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
zombizzle wrote:
I never noticed, but Earth isn't in standard time. Is it 3/4 or 6/4? I'm leaning towards 6/4 as the phrases usually wrap up in 6 beats. Please don't tell me it's in 6/8!! Shocked

I'd say a fast 3/4 (in one). What's even more unusual is that Canvas seems to be in 9/8 and Little Bird has a lot of mixed meters. Must be her background in classical music.

"Immi is the prettiest, tallest, most talented goddess ever to place her perfect lips in front of a microphone and emit dulcet waves of honey from her golden throat. The best albums ever made in world history are Frou Frou, I Megaphone, Speak For Yourself, Ellipse, and one track each on the Narnia and Shrek 2 soundtracks."
zombizzle
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:00 am Reply with quote
OK cool, finale notepad doesn't let you choose 6/4 anyway Rolling Eyes I never payed attention to the meters or noticed them, which I give props to Imogen for that. Making them sound natural is the goal and it's not always easy. Dig about the classical thing, I think of her music as "modern classical", or just "some of the best music written in recently". Either or. Very Happy

Canvas has a 6/8 feel to me, huh...

Nice youtube page by the way.
TómasAlexander
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Nov 2009 Posts: 331 Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
I think Canvas is in 3/4 actually. Start counting on the downbeat of the first time the piano comes in. You can even hear it in the background vox just before the main lyrics start: "- whoo whoo/ - whoo whoo/ - whoo whoo// - slow heart/ - dark weight/..."

http://twitter.com/Tomskander
RBerman
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The difference between 3/4 and 6/4 and 6/8 and 12/8, especially at certain tempos, is largely a matter of taste.

Besides, Canvas is clearly in 9/8. That is, 3/4 with triplets all over the place, and a few odd measures as well. Twisted Evil
TómasAlexander
Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh snap!

kev23
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
I think Canvas makes much more sense in 9/8, especially from a notation standpoint. It definitely has 3 beats to a measure, but if it was in 3/4 the guitar figure would be in triplets. You also have the vocal melody which contains a "swung" rhythm on almost all of the moving notes and lots of syncopation. So, in order to notate this in 3/4 you would also have a lot of triplets in a 'quarter-eighth' pattern, which all in all would result in a lot of little 3's on the page. In 9/8 things would be much simplified as the triplets are built into each beat. Not to mention the fact that triplets in 3/4 are generally only used as a polyrhythm (eg. 3 over 2), not as the main rhythmic motive.

Hopefully that makes sense...I am a music student, but apparently I still haven't learned how to spell 'rhythm' without messing up on the first try... Confused

"Immi is the prettiest, tallest, most talented goddess ever to place her perfect lips in front of a microphone and emit dulcet waves of honey from her golden throat. The best albums ever made in world history are Frou Frou, I Megaphone, Speak For Yourself, Ellipse, and one track each on the Narnia and Shrek 2 soundtracks."
zombizzle
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
kev23 wrote:
I think Canvas makes much more sense in 9/8, especially from a notation standpoint. It definitely has 3 beats to a measure, but if it was in 3/4 the guitar figure would be in triplets. You also have the vocal melody which contains a "swung" rhythm on almost all of the moving notes and lots of syncopation. So, in order to notate this in 3/4 you would also have a lot of triplets in a 'quarter-eighth' pattern, which all in all would result in a lot of little 3's on the page. In 9/8 things would be much simplified as the triplets are built into each beat. Not to mention the fact that triplets in 3/4 are generally only used as a polyrhythm (eg. 3 over 2), not as the main rhythmic motive.

Hopefully that makes sense...I am a music student, but apparently I still haven't learned how to spell 'rhythm' without messing up on the first try... Confused

Understood, I hear what you're describing. I thought I knew a decent amount of theory Embarassed

What school are you attending?
kev23
Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
I'm attending the Glenn Gould School of the Royal Conservatory here in Toronto. Don't feel bad, I'm pretty good with rhythm, but I had almost no theory training before I came here. The first couple months of harmony assignments were...pretty pathetic...

zombizzle
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I got around to transcribing it this morning. Here's a video (edit: now an mp3 track) I recorded with my cell phone, and yes I'm still using a CRT monitor as you can see by the awesome moving lines Shocked Confused Keep in mind I just wanted to get some stuff down and there are a few incorrect phrases, and the "human playback" function is hardly human-like, more humorous than anything, so don't take it too seriously It's a bit hard to hear all the parts, but most of them are there. Hope you like!

http://www.filedropper.com/earthwav

I used trombones and a tuba as I'm most comfortable with bass clef, and it wouldn't sound that great with 4 basses lol I'd like to arrange it for as many groups as possible, (brass quintet, DCI/marching band, vocal, jazz ensemble?!?! Who knows!!!! Just a lot of fun and a good workout. Really looking forward getting the entire song down.
Twisted Evil
kev23
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:29 am Reply with quote
Yay! Don't you just love computerized musical interpretations?

emkappel
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:09 am Reply with quote
Earth is in 6/8! It's got a nice quick waltz feel though. I still feel Canvas in three as well. I'd think it'd be really tough to dream up a song in a strange meter like 9/8, but maybe Immi would!

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Canvas is definitely in 9/8. In Irish Dance we have a step called a slip jig which is in 9/8. We always count it as "1, 2-3, 4-5." Like a swing "DUH da DUH da DUH" which you can actually do with Canvas...which is EXCELLENT because a fellow dancer and I are planning to choreograph a slip jig to Canvas. Should be interesting...

Asethe
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
TómasAlexander wrote:
which is EXCELLENT because a fellow dancer and I are planning to choreograph a slip jig to Canvas. Should be interesting...

Sounds like fun!...was never much of a dancer myself Sad
TómasAlexander
Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Maybe she'll let me film her doing it and I will post it on youtube...

mariarules11
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Smile

I'm trying to learn the guitar. Thats all i have to work with. :.]

"If i was your dog, i would $h*t on you."

----------------------------------------

I just like wearing my kind of clothes, which attracts some strange looks. Today I’m wearing a bright pink petticoat with loads of layers, a black-and-white patterned skirt over that, my white boots and fluffy legwarmers. My hair is hugely backcombed. I look like a bush. Then I’ve got a Victorian jacket on. People have been looking at me like ‘what is that?'.
-Immi
-------------------------------------------------
~~~I saw Immi in Portland, Oregon!~~~
EmmaRose
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
TómasAlexander wrote:
Canvas is definitely in 9/8. In Irish Dance we have a step called a slip jig which is in 9/8. We always count it as "1, 2-3, 4-5." Like a swing "DUH da DUH da DUH" which you can actually do with Canvas...which is EXCELLENT because a fellow dancer and I are planning to choreograph a slip jig to Canvas. Should be interesting...

Omigod! I used to Irish Dance. Loved the slip jig, although more partial to hard shoe (Rally & toe, Rally & toe . . . Laughing )
Asethe
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
mariarules11 wrote:
I just want to say, I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Smile

Yay! so there's two of us XD
TómasAlexander
Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
EmmaRose wrote:
Omigod! I used to Irish Dance. Loved the slip jig, although more partial to hard shoe (Rally & toe, Rally & toe . . . Laughing )

I love hard shoe too. The hornpipe is my favorite.

zombizzle
Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote
So I've finished transcribing Earth, it all seemed to come together a whole lot easier the second time around. It's amazing all the layers of vocals in this piece. I'd constantly go back and hear something I hadn't before...and another, then go back to make sure there was nothing else I was missing. The whole process has made the song even more special to me. If anyone wants the terribly "arranged" transcription I'd be happy to share. Be warned it's all in bass cleff, parts tossed around everywhere, and in 3/4 (opposed to 6/4 or even 6/8 as was suggested), and maybe even a few more surprises in there. At least all the notes and rhythms are taken care of though. I noted in Finale 2009 and that's what the file will be, so have something similar to read it ect. Peace!